PDA

View Full Version : Flowers That Do Good In Sun

tater03
05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Can you guys give me some suggestions for flowers that do well in places that get a lot of direct sunlight? Thanks so much.

mbtaluka
05-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I think some Orchids can withstand some direct sunlight. I am not so sure but I even remember reading it somewhere.

tater03
05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I like Orchids. I think that they are pretty. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Chris
05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Orchids are mostly shade plants as they grow on or around larger trees.

Anyways... blanket flower (Gailardia) daylilies, rudbeckia (black eyed susans), coneflower (enchinecea), daisys, lilies, sunflowers (of course) all will do well in full sun.

Mickie31
05-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Tiger lillies, and other variations of lillies, zinnia, cosmos, marguarete daisy, verbenasedum, sempervivum, and delosperma. Hope this helps.

mtrent
05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Orchids are mostly shade plants as they grow on or around larger trees.

Anyways... blanket flower (Gailardia) daylilies, rudbeckia (black eyed susans), coneflower (enchinecea), daisys, lilies, sunflowers (of course) all will do well in full sun.

Chris is absolutely correct. Orchids require a lot of shade, because they can easily start to wilt. Hostas can handle the sun, but they will need plenty of watering in the morning/night.

debrajean
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm so glad someone asked this question. I'm also in direct sunlight and am finding it difficult to find plants that can stand up to it. So thanks for the tips.

nadine
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
The following are flowers that do good on sun:
Euryops, Lilac, canna's, marigolds, black eyed susans, poppies, daisies, geraniums, hibiscus, lavender, lupine, four o'clocks, sunflowers, dahlias, asters, crape myrtle

blackeyed crew7
03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
hi everyone, i am new to the forum, but looking forward to posting and reading others posts. i am basically looking for info on the blackeyed susans. i had alot of success last season with 4 plants in front of the house. the house faces east so i get the am sun and the pm shade. i was wondering if the plants will come back this year? and what all that entails. do i have to cut them back to allow new growth? any info. would be greatly appriciated. thanks

Chris
03-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Some rudbeckias are annual, (Biennial really) some are perennial. It is hard to say which kind you have and if they will come back.

Biennial or annual ones can come back yearly because they can reseed if allowed to, and nothing is applied to interfere with the germination of those seeds.

But yes, cut any dead stems back now to within a few inches of the soil (or to any green growth if it exists). If they can come back it won't hurt them, and if they aren't going to come back you'll need to do it anyways.

blackeyed crew7
03-25-2009, 10:01 PM
thanks for the reply, i had a chance this past weekend to spend some time with my garden. i cut the plants back and did notice some green, minimal however, so maybe there is a chance i can get them back. i will keep my green fingers crossed lol. thank you.

KSwoodyOasis
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah orchids are among the last things Id plant in a sunny location. I like echinacea (cone flower), sage and yarrow for hot spots. Blanket flower too.

Expert212
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
It is very nice and Informative post I struck with the same problem. I also agree with your comments. It is really very Informative for me.
Thanks...

GardenGeek
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia)
Bearded Iris
Blanket Flower (Gaillardia)
Butterfly Bush

and yes how can i forget

Coneflower (Echinacea)
Cranesbill (Geranium)
Daylily

Rose White
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm so glad someone asked this question. I'm also in direct sunlight and am finding it difficult to find plants that can stand up to it. So thanks for the tips.

Cleomes also hold up well in the sun, especially late in the summer when many other flowers are past their prime.

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens A to Z
:)