PDA

View Full Version : Fruit Trees

mom2manyboyz
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Next weekend, I am planning to plant some fruit trees once again. Any tips?

I planted apple and pear trees 2 summers ago. I lost them to a very late frost last spring. I am going to try again.

tater03
05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I would love some tips on planting apple trees. I tried to plant one years ago and it didn't take for some reason.

justontime
05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
My mum planted an apple tree a few years ago, I am not sure what variety it is but it is not a big tree. She staked it but it came up crooked, someone told her that apple trees often come up crooked, so when you plant it keep an eye on it to make sure it is growing straight.

mom2manyboyz
05-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks justontime. I will keep that in mind. I wonder why apple trees are prone to growing up crooked? I bet there is a scientific reason for it.

Roguegal
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
You might try calling your local nursery and asking them what would be the best fruit tree to plant. They would have the best information for your area. I always liked orange trees myself. They always make the air smell good when they bloom.

mom2manyboyz
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I only WISH I could plant orange trees. I would LOVE that. Apple trees grow well in my area. Unfortunately, not my yard. LOL

mbtaluka
05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
We had a Gauva, Mango and Pomegranate trees in my house and it didn't really require any real maintainence. All we did was watering these plants and they grew up very well with excellent taste of the fruits. But, Mango plant couldn't stay for very long, in just 4 - 5 years it dried up but Gauva and Pomegranate existed almost more than 15 years.

Green-Moo
05-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Place your stake in the hole before the tree, so that you are not risking damaging the roots by pushing it in afterwards.

mom2manyboyz
05-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I planted a pear and apple tree yesterday. Both dwarf varieties and both self-pollinating. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the tip about the stake green moo.

Serenity
05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Best of luck with them, mom2manyboyz! I've never grown fruit trees before but like the idea of it.

I have a question for any that have fruit trees - do you get fruit right from the first year of planting or do they take a few years to get established before producing fruit?

mom2manyboyz
05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
That's a good question. I think it depends on the age of the tree. The ones I planted actually have blossoms which I guess would eventually turn into fruit, but I doubt I will have any until at least next summer or the one after. That is just a guess. Someone else can probably answer better.

Roguegal
05-17-2008, 05:52 AM
I was told that it depends on how well you care for the three. For example, if it is a citrus tree you need to make sure that you water it a lot. It also depends on what kind of tree food you're giving and how old is. I have also been told by others, that you do not want to eat the first harvest of the tree. I guess, it just depends on who you talk to.

gnandita1
05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I love apples .So I have planted one though the weather hear is not so suitable but I will strive hard to take care of it.

mom2manyboyz
05-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I love apples .So I have planted one though the weather hear is not so suitable but I will strive hard to take care of it.

My apple tree that I planted recently actually has teeny-tiny apples on it now. I was so excited to see them! I finally got a fruit tree to grow fruit! I don't think I've been so excited since I adopted my youngest son 4 years ago. :)

It is a fairly mature tree. Usually I buy smaller ones, but this was the only size apple tree the nursery had in stock.

Roguegal
05-19-2008, 06:37 AM
I would love to grow an orange tree. I love oranges! Does anybody know if they are hard to grow in Arizona? I know they need alot of water.

mom2manyboyz
05-20-2008, 02:04 PM
The last time I was in Phoenix, I saw orange trees growing Roguegal. So, although I don't live there, and have only been there twice, I believe they will grow there.

Roguegal
05-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I see them all the time as well. But the oranges off of them are lousy. They're used mainly as decorative foliage. I don't know if orange trees can be grown to produce good tasting oranges. I like my oranges sweet and juicy. I'd like them without seeds but that's a little harder to do.

riskey58
05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I planted an apple tree a few years ago. And it took a couple years to get a good amount of apples.

Roguegal
05-27-2008, 09:06 PM
The only thing I have been able to find out about growing orange trees is that if you plant from a seedling it will take 2-15 years to get fruit.

atula
05-28-2008, 06:43 AM
The place where we live in has lots n lots of fig trees....and the fruit is so sweet and tasty...my father came to visit us and has taken two to see if they grow in the area where he lives...he is also a keen bonsai lover so may be he will make a bonsai out of one of the saplings....

Mickie31
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Apples, pears, strawberry plants and plums are good for this time of year. Because June is a very dry month you should give your fruit bushes, canes and trees a good soak in water. Newly planted fruit tree's will espescially need water. Apply 25 litres every 10 days whilst the weather is dry because water stress can cause the fruit to drop. You should water at the base of the plant. Also mulching will help conserve the moisture in the ground and is very important.

Roguegal
05-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Is it hard to grow strawberry plants? Aren't they a vine? Can they be grown inside? If they can be grown inside, I just might try them.

gardening-and-plants
05-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Is it hard to grow strawberry plants? Aren't they a vine? Can they be grown inside? If they can be grown inside, I just might try them.

Depending on what zone you are in. Strawberries are very easy to grow! We planted 25 plants a few years ago and now have a couple hundred (at least) from those first 25. They love composted horse manure mixed in with the soil. Don't think they would be a good candidate for indoors unless you have a sun room. They aren't a vining plant, but send off several runners each year to propagate themselves. We just finished harvesting and canning our strawberries here.

DartLady
09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Serenity - it depends on the tree.

I have an Anjou Pear that I planted as a five foot tall stick and got 2 to 12 pears for 5 years. Then last year I got nothing. This year we can't keep up with the fruit! (72 and counting) It is now about 10 feet tall.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law planted a Freestone Peach and got fruit the next year (though only a few due to 3 foot tall tree)

Rose White
02-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Serenity - it depends on the tree.

I have an Anjou Pear that I planted as a five foot tall stick and got 2 to 12 pears for 5 years. Then last year I got nothing. This year we can't keep up with the fruit! (72 and counting) It is now about 10 feet tall.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law planted a Freestone Peach and got fruit the next year (though only a few due to 3 foot tall tree)

I had a sour cherry tree in my last garden and every year it produced lots of cherries. Then one year there were no cherries and I asked a fruit vendor about it. He said he was unable to purchase sour cherries that year anywhere. You just never know much fruit will be harvested each year.

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens Volume 7 - Fruit and Flowering Trees
:)

dain45yl
03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I have also so much interest to plant a fruit trees
but can not successful
i like fruit trees so much and want to plant at my house

LombardoCC1
03-03-2011, 02:38 AM
apple trees do best if planted around November but can prosper up to planting at the end of March. Try planting several different types of apple trees with the same flowering times to allow cross pollination. For more in-depth advice i would go to your local nursery.

mort03crow
03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
i have so interest to have fruit trees in my garden
but i can not care them

azizitehram
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
i like to plant fruit trees in my garden
i have very interest in fruit tress

ha0id0er
03-30-2011, 06:19 AM
i have so interest to have fruit trees in my garden
but how it will plant
I don't have an idea about it

jbrown
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Living and gardening on a sand dune/Oak Savanna 70 ft above a river. I want to plant apple trees, which my nieghbors had no success with but can grow a fine bunch of peaches. I have access to an unlimited amount of composted horse manure and fine black dirt for growing on the dune top or can grow an a marshy river bottom. I would prefer the dune top.

Plan to dig a large deep hole in the sand and fill the bottom with manure, then black dirt, jonathan apple tree and top off with dirt.

I would appreciate any feed back or ideas for success. Thanks jb

P.S Just put in a raised bed garden after building the soil through composting for years and tilling in copious amounts of composted manure. Really looking forward to this years garden. Love this site. jb

Chris
06-04-2011, 02:44 AM
It sounds like you're in the south, right?

Some trees just do better in certain climates. Peaches in the south, apples in the north. The trees need the cold winter season.

I'm from the north in anycase and can't give you any guidance on southern planting.