PDA

View Full Version : Grass

justontime
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
This maybe a silly question, but I need to do something drastic with my lawn. Actually I can hardly call it a lawn, it has become just a patch of grass with weeds in it. It grows so fast that it easily gets out of control, is there a slower growing type of grass that I could use?

tater03
05-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Zoysiagrass is a slow growing grass. It does need a lot of watering if I remember right. For some reason we don't have a lot of luck with growing grass.

justontime
05-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Zoysiagrass is a slow growing grass. It does need a lot of watering if I remember right. For some reason we don't have a lot of luck with growing grass.

Thanks for the advice. Would I be able to buy the seeds from a garden centre or would I gave to send away to get them? Do you know if there is a brand name that I should look out for?

SageMother
05-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Have you checked with your local garden center to see what grasses are native to your area? Many of your native grasses don't need much grooming, or water.

tater03
05-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I would thing that you could get it at most garden centers. I am not to sure of a brand though. Sorry.

gnandita1
05-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the information.Now I will groom my garden with Zoysiagrass as it
will require less effort.

SageMother
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Ground cover might be a good alternative to grass. There are some that flower during the spring. Creeping Thyme is popular around garden paths, between stones, because they release a wonderful scent when stepped on.

If your yard isn't used for outdoor activities, a nice ground cover might be a good option.

Roguegal
05-07-2008, 07:49 PM
From what I understand, most people use Bermuda grass. It grows fast and only needs to be watered and mowed. Of course, you need to make sure you trim it around concrete. Because it will grow up through your concrete causing it to crack. In fact, I believe Bermuda grass is actually termed a weed, but don't quote me on that. It will also choked out any other plant, like weeds.

justontime
05-08-2008, 08:47 PM
From what I understand, most people use Bermuda grass. It grows fast and only needs to be watered and mowed. Of course, you need to make sure you trim it around concrete. Because it will grow up through your concrete causing it to crack. In fact, I believe Bermuda grass is actually termed a weed, but don't quote me on that. It will also choked out any other plant, like weeds.

I want a slow growing grass, the grass I already have grows far too fast and it gets too tall for the mower if we have a wet spell.

Roguegal
05-10-2008, 07:37 PM
That can be a problem with Bermuda grass. It is also hard to get rid of. I would love to have a lawn with this particular grass that I do not know the name of. It supposedly only grows 1 inch high and does not need to be mowed, just watered. I was told years ago about it and that the problem with growing it is that you have to restrict "all" activity on the planted area. If anything walked on it, no grass would grow in that spot. I have pets and it would cause a big problem. I would have small footprints everywhere with no grass.

justontime
05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I have pets too as well as children and a husband with big feet so whatever I plant will have to cope with being walked on. I am starting to see the attraction of paving slabs!

Mickie31
05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
If I was you and I had the money I would lay down some other form of material rather than grass. Like a soft material and then you do not need to worry about growing, watering and trimming the grass. There is no need for grass really.

Roguegal
05-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Mickie31, here in Arizona they call that landscaping. If you spray something on the grass to kill it and then lay plastic down and cover it with gravel. Depending on what area you are in it may be nice. Mainly because it heats up the house. Here in Arizona that is not a good thing in the summer.

papia
05-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Bermuda grass is good but they are fast growing and is difficult to maintain, on the other hand Zoysiagrass is better as they are not so fast growing. But if you want your lawn look better, you need to maintain it regularly.

gnandita1
05-13-2008, 02:53 PM
There are different types of grasses.But the best for lawn would be Blends.Blends are a combination of different varieties of same type of grass.Blends are not adaptable as mixture,but they are generally more attractive
because of their uniformity.

mbtaluka
05-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm not having a backyard when I can make a garden with grass rather can grow plants instead of grass. I don't think I would be willing to use anything that would strain more and need loads of care to be taken.

justontime
05-13-2008, 08:22 PM
I have found a slow growing low maintenance grass seed mixture based on dwarf rye grass. They say it only neesd cutting twice per year, so it sounds ideal. It has the added advantage of not needing a lot of water.

Roguegal
05-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Justontime, what is the name of that grass? I wonder if it would work here in Phoenix, Arizona? Especially if it does not need much water!

riskey58
05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
My soil is sandy, and I would like to know what is a good grass seed to gtow in this kind of soil?

justontime
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Justontime, what is the name of that grass? I wonder if it would work here in Phoenix, Arizona? Especially if it does not need much water!

The mixture was called Slow Grow. I have no idea what the climate is like in Arizona but I am guessing it is much hotter and drier than where I live. Perhaps you could search on-line to see if any seed producers in your region have any slow growing mixtures suited to your area. I hope you find something suitable.

Roguegal
05-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Justontime, thanks for the information. I've been pretty busy this week try to get other things done, but I will get online this weekend and check it out. I would like to have grass in my yard that isn't yucky. :-)

Rose White
02-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm not having a backyard when I can make a garden with grass rather can grow plants instead of grass. I don't think I would be willing to use anything that would strain more and need loads of care to be taken.

What you need is a no-maintenance garden. You do the work one year and reap the harvest for many years to come. A garden can look beautiful in the sun or shade 12 months a year with little or no maintenance. You never have to mow grass again unless you enjoy it! Check out "Easy Gardens A to Z" at http://www.************************ or at Amazon Kindle.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"