PDA

View Full Version : Nuts

Roguegal
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Does anybody know where they can get seeds for peanuts of any kind? I know cashews have a poisonous shell and can be dangerous when picked. So I can understand not being able to buy the seeds for cashews. But other peanuts? Now, I'm not talk about walnuts, just plain old peanuts.

Chris
05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Peanuts are a somewhat complicated crop for the home gardener, they aren't hardy in much of the country, and the nuts (not actual nuts really) are underground.

tater03
05-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I have never thought about growing peanuts. I don't think that they grow them in my climate though here in Ohio.

Chris
05-03-2008, 02:21 AM
For a home gardener, the best nut I'd probably recommend growing would be pecans, followed closely by walnuts (if you're up north, most pecan varieties you can't grow, so walnuts it is).

Roguegal
05-03-2008, 02:49 AM
To be honest, I was thinking more along the lines of cashews. I did not know that peanuts grew underground. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of walnuts from a tree.

Chris
05-05-2008, 01:24 AM
cashews (and almonds) also require warmer weather than what most of the country provides (you're not in florida or southern cal are you?).

Like I said, for most of the country it is pecans and walnuts.

Chris
05-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh.. and the seed for a nut tree... is the nut.. but really, if you want to grow them, you're best off buying a small tree, they aren't expensive, you can get really small ones for less than $10, and slightly larger (say 3-4ft ones, shipped bareroot in the mail) for around $20.

mom2manyboyz
05-06-2008, 02:03 PM
We have a walnut tree in our yard. They grow everywhere in my area.

Chris is absolutely right about nuts being seeds. We have quite a few oak trees in my yard as well. Last fall, I had baby oak trees popping up all over. The squirrels were burying the acorns from the oak tree.

Didn't Jimmy Carter grow peanuts? :) Where was he from?

Roguegal
05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
cashews (and almonds) also require warmer weather than what most of the country provides (you're not in florida or southern cal are you?).

Like I said, for most of the country it is pecans and walnuts.

No, I live in Phoenix, Arizona. It's very warm here especially in the summertime. :rolleyes: I would love to grow cashews. It is my favorite nut! Of course, I would have to learn how to roast them. But I'm always willing to learn something new.

Green-Moo
05-11-2008, 04:55 PM
This company will sell you cashews for planting - http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com. You'll find cashews under their Rainforest collection, 3 seeds for $2.50.

reviewer
05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Cashews, from what I understand, are quite complicated to harvest... if I recall correctly, the exterior of the cashew fruit is also toxic. I'd recommend research first. :)

Serenity
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Funny enough my husband and I were just talking last night about how to grow pecans. Our neighbor had pecan trees and they used to produce so many he'd sell them at the farmers markets close by. They're not cheap in the stores, that's for sure! I think when I got them around Christmas time they were between three and four dollars a pound.

Serenity
05-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh.. and the seed for a nut tree... is the nut.. but really, if you want to grow them, you're best off buying a small tree, they aren't expensive, you can get really small ones for less than $10, and slightly larger (say 3-4ft ones, shipped bareroot in the mail) for around $20.

Chris, thanks very much for that information! I was going to try find that out today after my husband and I chatting last night about them. You've saved me some legwork. :) I'm surprised they're so inexpensive actually.

mbtaluka
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Almonds didn't seem to be tough to grow, thats one of the plants in our house which also grew on its own. My mom happened to visit some camp to some forest area from where she brought the plants and planted them in our house which grew well.

Roguegal
05-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Does anybody know if the cashew tree is sold anywhere? I love cashews and would love to try and grow one. I have been able to find one locally. They probably don't grow well in Arizona.

mom2manyboyz
05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
If you've asked around at the local nurseries and can't find them, that's a good sign they don't grow well there. You might just go back and as them what kind of nut trees/plants they do have.

Does anybody know if the cashew tree is sold anywhere? I love cashews and would love to try and grow one. I have been able to find one locally. They probably don't grow well in Arizona.

mom2manyboyz
05-14-2008, 06:02 PM
mbtaluka:
Do you mind if I ask what area you are in? I think this is very interesting and would love to give indoor almonds a shot if they have a chance in my home.

Almonds didn't seem to be tough to grow, thats one of the plants in our house which also grew on its own. My mom happened to visit some camp to some forest area from where she brought the plants and planted them in our house which grew well.

mom2manyboyz
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Do pecans grow in US zone 5? I almost feel silly asking that, you would think I'd have noticed pecan trees growing around me. But, I have no idea. I know we have walnut trees.

Roguegal
05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, the answer I usually get is, "We don't sell those. You can't buy those." The only thing I have found are walnuts, almonds and pecans. To me, it makes sense that peanuts and cashews would be hard to locate to grow on your own. They make too much money on them.

mom2manyboyz
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I understand the "we don't have those." I might have words for someone bold enough to tell me what I could/couldn't buy.

I believe what they are trying to say is that peanuts and cashews don't grow well in your area. I've never heard of a nursery not selling a crop because people make too much money off of it. Usually they will sell anything that grows in your area. But, that's just my experience. I don't know where you live or what the situation is.

Here we can't grow citrus trees. They just won't grow outside. I do know of someone that successfully grew a lemon tree on her back porch, but it required a great deal of care and put out very little fruit. She did it because someone told her it couldn't be done.

Well, the answer I usually get is, "We don't sell those. You can't buy those." The only thing I have found are walnuts, almonds and pecans. To me, it makes sense that peanuts and cashews would be hard to locate to grow on your own. They make too much money on them.

reviewer
05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I looked up cashews on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

I was wrong about the toxicity issue, but, they are tropical plants and not cultivated in the US for this reason. It requires a warm, humid climate.

mom2manyboyz
05-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info reviewer. I'm wondering if my living room could be considered a tropical climate. :) I keep it warm and run humidifiers in the winter. Yes, I am stretching it.

I looked up cashews on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

I was wrong about the toxicity issue, but, they are tropical plants and not cultivated in the US for this reason. It requires a warm, humid climate.

angelicwriter
05-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I wish I could grow nuts in my living room too! Especially, with the summer approaching I know it's gonna be pretty hot and humid. Are there any edible plants that can be grown inside other than the typical herbs?

Roguegal
05-17-2008, 05:47 AM
You can grow tomatoes in the house. There is a dwarf tomato tree that is perfect for apartments and homes. I have never tried it but I have heard that it is a very good plant and the tomatoes taste delicious.

mtrent
05-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Here in the south we have walnut trees all over the place just growing wild, at least here in Tennessee.

Roguegal
05-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Well, that's one nut you don't have to worry about at Christmas. :-) I also like good old Filberts a.k.a. hazelnuts. I call them mommy nuts. My mother's first name is Hazel. My brother started that when he was a toddler. I can still remember the look on people's faces when I would ask my mother for mommy nuts at the store. They thought I was insane.

Roguegal
05-19-2008, 06:39 AM
You could if you had a big window to put then near. You might need to turn them, but it could work.

Roguegal
05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
That's a very good question! I would not have any idea. I guess it would depend on the size the plant would get and how much room you have to grow at. I would suggest trying which ever net plant is the easiest to grow.

I just found a peanut plant for sale!! Here is the URL to the site: http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Outdoor%2c+Pets+%26+Auto&SCID=Lawn+%26+Garden&ProductID=0000149966&SiteNum=0&sortBy=Rank%20ASC