PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Plant for Shady Fence

justontime
05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Could anybody suggest a climbing plant to grow against a fence at the back of my garden, the area is shaded by several trees. I would like something fairly vigorous so that it covers the fence and if it has spikes or prickles that would be even better as it would deter intruders.

ammulu
05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I personally preferred the one which has white flowers that smell really good. I am not sure of the name in english but in my mother tongue it is called Mallepuvvulu. It doesn't possess any spikes though, check out this site if possible to find some good plants: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/climbers.htm
http://www.gardens4you.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27&category_id=6519&lang=en&page=shop.browse&gclid=CJa_y4fphZMCFRr7lgodfG5TFA&vmcchk=1

Green-Moo
05-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Honeysuckle would do really well there, but no spikes I'm afraid.

I'd love some wisteria on my own back fence, but it requires the sun.

Serenity
05-03-2008, 01:25 AM
How about a climbing rose? They'd have thorns and also provide a splash of color. You might need to attach a trellis to the fence but they'd be pretty as well as practical.

justontime
05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks, I love roses, so a vigorous climbing rose would be ideal. It is quite a long fence so I may try several different things. I am going to the garden centre today, so I hope to get the garden looking better soon.

SageMother
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Could anybody suggest a climbing plant to grow against a fence at the back of my garden, the area is shaded by several trees. I would like something fairly vigorous so that it covers the fence and if it has spikes or prickles that would be even better as it would deter intruders.

I just purchased two climbing Hydrangeas today for my shady back yard. They were both under $10.00.

You might do a little research to see if there is a grape vine that will tolerate shade in your hardiness zone. It is another option that has the added benefit of bering fruit withint a coupl eof years of initial planting.

Serenity
05-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks, I love roses, so a vigorous climbing rose would be ideal. It is quite a long fence so I may try several different things. I am going to the garden centre today, so I hope to get the garden looking better soon.

You're welcome. I wasn't sure if that would be of any use when I thought about it later because I don't know of roses that are fast growing. That of course doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I'm not familiar with them if there are. I wondered if maybe they wouldn't be vigorous enough for what you're wanting. Do let me know if you find any because I have a nice spot myself I could put a climber in too.

justontime
05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I bought two Virginia Creeper plants yesterday for one end of the fence, I haven't got the rose yet as I may need to send away for the sort I need, the garden centre recommended pyrocanthus and catoniasta, has anyone else grown these?

Roguegal
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Don't get Bogenvia (sp?). They have 2 inch thorns and grow very fast. When the leaves turn red they are absolutely beautiful. But then when the leaves die off you wind up with them all over your yard and everybody else's. It definitely is not a fund cleanup job!

mtrent
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Any time of ivy would be a great suggestion for this project, because it grows quickly and is easily maintained. There are also several different types of ivy to choose from such as ----- English or Boston, which are two of my favorites. There are others also, but they are great is maintained.;)

mbtaluka
05-05-2008, 03:06 AM
How about a climbing rose? They'd have thorns and also provide a splash of color. You might need to attach a trellis to the fence but they'd be pretty as well as practical.

I would love to have a rose, we had white rose which climbs up the staircase in our home but needs regular cutting of the branches which would interrupt the path on stairs. But, it is a great plant to go for.

Roguegal
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I have heard that they have come out with a rose without thorns. I have never investigated this so I am not positive of it. But it does not seem right to have a rose without the thorns. It just wouldn't seem like a rose.

mtrent
05-09-2008, 08:25 PM
There are a couple of varieties of rose bushes that do not have thorns, and they are very beautiful. A nursery will have your best selection and even some helpful advice with planting and maintaining your new rose bush.

justontime
05-10-2008, 02:16 PM
There are a couple of varieties of rose bushes that do not have thorns, and they are very beautiful. A nursery will have your best selection and even some helpful advice with planting and maintaining your new rose bush.

I want thorns, the bigger and more painful the better! The fence that it will cover is at the end of our back garden and we have had problems with intruders coming over the fence in the past so anything that puts them off is fine by me.

I have chosen my rose now, Zepherine Droughin because it should cope with the shade better than some of the others.

Roguegal
05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
If that is the case, I would definitely suggest bougainvillea as the plant you want. You have to train them on the fence where you want them. But they have thorns as long as your thumb and they hurt! The only problem with them is that when their leaves turn red and fall off, they blow everywhere. If you don't mind raking your yard then this is the plant you want.

mbtaluka
05-11-2008, 03:01 AM
There are various kinds of rose plants ones which have thorns and some don't but they look very beautiful. I am not sure of which kinds does possess sharp thorns.

justontime
05-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks Roguegal, I would love to grow bougainvillea but it will not grow outside in my area. Maybe that will change in time the way climate change seems to be going.

Roguegal
05-17-2008, 05:54 AM
So true, the climate is changing everywhere. Have you thought about the Hummingbird vine? I have seen them and they are absolutely beautiful. Hummingbirds do come to them as well.

DonB
08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Roguegal, I would love to grow bougainvillea but it will not grow outside in my area. Maybe that will change in time the way climate change seems to be going.

In that case, Pyracanthas. Long painful thorns, hardy in most areas. Very lovely and the birds will love the berries.

hatifjan
12-31-2010, 11:01 AM
i love roses too much

smithyuvar
05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
I bought two Virginia Creeper plants yesterday for one end of the fence, I haven't got the rose yet as I may need to send away for the sort.

jackiesons
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Something else that might help is an English Ivy. Not only are they attractive they will take over a large fence in minimum time.

http://www.nativewildflowers.net/index.php?l=product_detail&p=62
check it out

inchworm5
04-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Anybody else dealt much with Mandevilla? I just recently got some at home depot. Found some crazy coupons online and grabbled a few to start on the side of my woodshed.

I hope they will last. They're beautiful!

AdamBorzy
07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Mandevillas are great as patio plants and can be potted.
Their flowers also add beauty to any landscape.

gardenplants123
07-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I love mendevillas but you have to take them in for the winter. Here in the mountains of Tennessee it gets extremely cold in the winter time now. We used to not hardly ever get below freezing for long and now, it gets below zero.