PDA

View Full Version : Easy plants to take care of?

mamabear05
04-29-2008, 05:56 PM
What are your favorite super-easy plants to take care of, preferably flowering ones? I am looking for some new ideas. :)

mbtaluka
04-30-2008, 02:32 AM
For me I think Lily and Roses are the best and easy plants to be taken care of. Apart from these if we consider other plants Coconut and Almond trees are easiest ones grown in our backyard.

mtrent
04-30-2008, 04:15 AM
I prefer Hollyhocks - Asters - Bachelors Buttons - Phlox. They are pretty easy to care for and a lot of assorted beautiful colors.:rolleyes: ;)

Green-Moo
04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Nasturtiums add colour & grow like triffids if you're looking for something bright! Mine are currently going beserk. They also self seed themselves left to their own devices, and you can eat them too.

mamabear05
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks, everyone!

gnandita1
05-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Pink butterfly and Cana Lillies are the quickest growing plants.They grow very quickly and a great attraction to any backyard.

riskey58
05-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I have cana lillies in my yard. And they grow no matter what. They are the easiest flower to take care of. And they look nice.

mom2manyboyz
05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I just wanted to mention that this really depends on the zone you live in. Planting for the right zone will make plants easier to care for and require less watering which is good for the environment.

I'm in the midwest in zone 5 and these work well for me with little care:
Lilac
Roses
Sedum
phlox
tulips
black eyed susans

The phlox and sedum both spread rapidly for me. They make for pretty spring and fall interests, respectively.

Chris
05-05-2008, 01:31 AM
daylilies, hands down.

mbtaluka
05-05-2008, 03:13 AM
I just wanted to mention that this really depends on the zone you live in. Planting for the right zone will make plants easier to care for and require less watering which is good for the environment.

I'm in the midwest in zone 5 and these work well for me with little care:
Lilac
Roses
Sedum
phlox
tulips
black eyed susans

The phlox and sedum both spread rapidly for me. They make for pretty spring and fall interests, respectively.

Your point is absolutely correct Mom2manyboyz. The place where I reside is very much favoring Roses and Lily. Those are most easiest ones to take care of.

papia
05-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Yes, I also agree that lillies are the easiest to grow and need not much care.Roses need much more care.

mom2manyboyz
05-13-2008, 01:44 PM
You know it just depends on where you live. 300 miles south of me, cactus are frequently seen popping up in people's yards, but there are very few cactus that would grow in my yard.

I have never grown lillies, but I have grown gladiolas and irises which are similar. My only problem with them is the blooms are too short lived. They are so pretty.

mbtaluka
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes, I also agree that lillies are the easiest to grow and need not much care.Roses need much more care.

We has white and red rose plants and it so happened that red rose plants need more maintainance rather than the white roses. We brought pink roses which didn't stay longer either. But, we tried removing off the white roses but it had just the roots remaining and the plant grew back on its own just by watering.

gnandita1
05-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Even I do agree with you mbtaluka.It really depends upon the region where you reside.Sometimes it really becomes easy to grow roses while it really becomes hard to grow some simple plants.

felice206
05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I have to agree, roses are quite easy, liliacs are my favourite, I have quite a few bushes as I love the smell they let off come spring time.

mom2manyboyz
05-14-2008, 07:22 PM
It could be the soil in the exact area of the planting and it could be the climate at the time of planting. If a plant takes root well, establishes itself well, immediately, it will require little care. If I happen to plant something and we get some good spring rains with no frost, I'm lucky, and my plant is happy.

I never do a thing with my red rose bushes except cut them back when they start to take over. Two years ago, we had a very late spring freeze that killed many of my flowers and trees. I thought my roses were gone, but this year they miraculously sprung back up as new plants near the old ones. They just don't give up.

We has white and red rose plants and it so happened that red rose plants need more maintainance rather than the white roses. We brought pink roses which didn't stay longer either. But, we tried removing off the white roses but it had just the roots remaining and the plant grew back on its own just by watering.

RoxyMoron
05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
This is pretty helpful for me since I sort of asked this in my "growing in an apt" thread. I'd love to know what are some low maintenance vegetable plants to save money!

mom2manyboyz
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
If I were going to do veggies in a window, I would do lettuce, herbs, and onions. If you have the height necessary for a tall plant, you could try tomatoes or peppers. If you really wanted to get creative you could do carrots (a root veggie). You would have to stay away from anything too tall like corn, or vines like cucumbers. You could grow potatoes in a large pot on a balcony, but potatoes require a lot of digging, so I think they are a lot of work.

This is pretty helpful for me since I sort of asked this in my "growing in an apt" thread. I'd love to know what are some low maintenance vegetable plants to save money!

mom2manyboyz
05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Me too. But, I don't currently have lilac. I need to buy one. I have a perfect spot for it. I just spend too much money this time of year.

I have to agree, roses are quite easy, liliacs are my favourite, I have quite a few bushes as I love the smell they let off come spring time.

Lyndsey
05-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Spider plants are hard to kill. They can survive you forgetting to water them occasionally and they can adapt to various levels of light. They clean the air well too.

Rose White
02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Me too. But, I don't currently have lilac. I need to buy one. I have a perfect spot for it. I just spend too much money this time of year.

You can dig up suckers from your friends' lilac bushes for free. Mix peat moss with the soil when you replant them. I even went to a neighbor I did not know and offered to trade plants with her. She was happy to do so.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"
:)

Rose White
02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
You know it just depends on where you live. 300 miles south of me, cactus are frequently seen popping up in people's yards, but there are very few cactus that would grow in my yard.

I have never grown lillies, but I have grown gladiolas and irises which are similar. My only problem with them is the blooms are too short lived. They are so pretty.

Many day lilies are available which bloom all summer in many colors. You can also order day lilies which bloom at various times so that there are always some in bloom. Trade with neighbors and watch them quickly spread in your garden.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"
:)