PDA

View Full Version : Olives

Green-Moo
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have experience of growing olive trees on from cuttings? I believe it is possible to take the young growth that appears at the base of the trunk and grow it on, but haven't been able to find out any information on this.

SageMother
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Since olive trees are a bit exotic, you might find information through a local nursery or garden center. If you cannot find a local garden center with the information, this might mean the trees won't grow in your hardiness zone.

gnandita1
04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Olives basically needs coastal climate and they are raised from seeds .Olives trees are long lasting and can remain productive for long if they are pruned regularly.

Green-Moo
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
They aren't exotic where I live!! But they are very hard to grow from seed, hence my question. From looking at the young ones for sale, I'm almost certain they're taken from cuttings.

Rose White
02-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have experience of growing olive trees on from cuttings? I believe it is possible to take the young growth that appears at the base of the trunk and grow it on, but haven't been able to find out any information on this.

I live in on the Mediterranean Sea during the winter and olive trees grow everywhere. I have only seen them purchased with their roots wrapped in plastic. You could try rooting them yourself in good potting soil and peat moss. Keep them in a sunny, outside area and water often. Protect them from winds and cold weather and they may grow for you. What have you got to lose? It is definitely worth the effort for free olive trees! :D

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens Volume 7 - Fruit and Flowering Trees

IzzyM
08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
This is an old thread, but olive trees are indeed propagated by removing the suckers thrown up at the base of plants and potting on. Cut them out with some root attached and they will grow on quite happily. I live in southern Spain (zone 10) and the farmers all grow olives here (1200' above sea level).

dain45yl
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Olives trees are long lasting and can remain productive for long if they are pruned regularly.

mort03crow
03-15-2011, 10:12 AM
olives are best
i like olive oil for cooking

azizitehram
03-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Olives trees are long lasting and can remain productive for long if they are pruned regularly.

ha0id0er
03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
olives are best
i like olive oil for cooking