PDA

View Full Version : Fence problem

justontime
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
We have suffered with more high winds than usual over the last two or three years and a section of my garden fence has fallen down twice. It seems as if the wind always gets the same spot. Until now I have had a 6ft wooden fence, would I be better to make that section 4ft with a trellis on top? Would that make it more stable?

Green-Moo
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
That would certainly help to diffuse the wind. I hope it works for you! Good luck.

SageMother
04-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Unless zoning is an issue, it might be good to replace the fence with a trellis. The whole section of fence, not just the top.

I say this because the fence blows over as the air cannot pass through it easily. The other options might be changing to chain link, which isn't nearly as nice!

mbtaluka
04-30-2008, 02:34 AM
We have a fence made of concrete in our backyard which is strong enough to withstand tough winds too. I am not sure about the wooden ones as it might be not so strong.

mtrent
04-30-2008, 04:17 AM
I agree with sage on this matter and i also think that it will look great

SageMother
04-30-2008, 03:14 PM
We have a fence made of concrete in our backyard which is strong enough to withstand tough winds too. I am not sure about the wooden ones as it might be not so strong.

Concrete is a good option if one can afford to have the wall built, but zoning restriction may prevent the option's use.

justontime
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Unless zoning is an issue, it might be good to replace the fence with a trellis. The whole section of fence, not just the top.

I say this because the fence blows over as the air cannot pass through it easily. The other options might be changing to chain link, which isn't nearly as nice!

I have a dog and if she can see through the trellis she will bark at my neighbours (she is fine when she can't see them) that was why I wanted a solid fence at the bottom. I could use trellis and then screen the inside with something but if I do that I may as well have the fence.

mtrent
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Plant some ivy around the the fence, because it grows fast and is easily maintained. You can weave the ivy in and out of the fencing and with the strengthness of the ivy it will help hold the fencing up.

mbtaluka
05-05-2008, 03:10 AM
Concrete is a good option if one can afford to have the wall built, but zoning restriction may prevent the option's use.

I could not think of zoning restriction because the place where I live is having the square yards measured and the wall built according to the measurement. May be zoning can be a problem.

justontime
05-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Plant some ivy around the the fence, because it grows fast and is easily maintained. You can weave the ivy in and out of the fencing and with the strengthness of the ivy it will help hold the fencing up.

I was looking at Ivy at the Garden Centre yesterday it would be an irony to buy and plant ivy in my back garden when I am waging war with some ivy in my front garden that is proving indestructible!

mtrent
05-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I understand completely. But it would help keep your fence up and you would not have to constantly be worring about putting it up.

justontime
05-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I see what you mean and I probably will grow a climber up the fence, but not ivy as the fence borders my neighbours garden and she would not be pleased about ivy intruding into her garden.

SageMother
05-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I see what you mean and I probably will grow a climber up the fence, but not ivy as the fence borders my neighbours garden and she would not be pleased about ivy intruding into her garden.

What about a Lilac bush? You could have the nice scent, block the view, and the neighbors probably wouldn't mind it nearly as much as they would mind the Ivy!

justontime
05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I have two lilac bushes growing on that side of the garden, so another one would fit in well and you are right the neighbour likes them. They are almost trees rather than bushes, I think I have let them get too high, they are about 7ft - 8ft.

hairycaterpillar
12-27-2008, 08:13 AM
We have high winds and a 6ft fence that has no problems with them. However it is a sturdy slatted fence with a 2 inch gap between each board. If you still need a good fence, getting one which is designed to let the wind pass through might be just as good as getting trellis (which can be really flimsy)!

obland
03-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Maybe you just need a stronger/better constructed fence?