PDA

View Full Version : Hostas

tater03
04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
So does anybody have these in their yard? I love them because they are easy to take care of and make great borders.

SageMother
04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I plan to buy some this year, probably a plant or two, for the shady border of my yard. I figure that, if I buy two a year, I will soon have a lush border that is easy to care for.

gnandita1
04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't have them in my garden.But even I plan to buy them as I want to give a new look to my garden.

rubybeetle
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I have always wanted to grow them! Do they generally use a lot of water?

msmeg
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I have them in my front shady border They are always lovely except I have to watch for slugs. Easy also

tater03
04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Honestly we don't do a whole lot with ours. They seem to be a very hardy plant. And these are the ones I love the most.

riskey58
04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I have had these for years. And believe me they don't take much care at all. And they will get fuller every year. They make great borders.

Green-Moo
05-01-2008, 05:54 PM
they seem to be very popular as they are so easy to care for, but i've never really liked them I'm afraid.

SageMother
05-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Can Hostas be grown from seeds?

I have seen the plants but thought getting some seeds might stretch my "botanical's budget". Does anyone know?

gnandita1
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I have planted them in my garden.They are really beautiful to groom my garden.

mtrent
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah, they are wonderful for using as a border. I have them and monkey grass alternating along my driveway and it looks really cute.

tater03
05-17-2008, 12:18 AM
My goodness do they grow fast. The ones we just planted are really full already. I have a question the flowers that sprout out of the top are you suppoused to cut them?

Rose White
02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Can Hostas be grown from seeds?

I have seen the plants but thought getting some seeds might stretch my "botanical's budget". Does anyone know?

Hostas are my very favorite plant - lots and lots of plants and blooms and variegated leaves from spring through fall. And they keep growing and spreading all by themselves! If a neighbor shares a little with you, it will spread in no time and you can easily divide it without hurting the plant. Each division should have 4 or 5 leaves, but I found transplanting larger plants makes them look nicer the first year. Don't worry if they are droopy; next spring they will bounce back.

My favorite ones aphrodite hosta, or August lily, which has leaves which reach up instead of spreading wide and white blooms which smell sweeter than honeysuckle! I plant them by the steps to my deck to enjoy often.

My long driveway in the woods is lined with hostas with short green and white leaves which look like shining lights. They are beautiful and in most cases free because people who own them feel overrun by them at times and will gladly share with you.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"
:)