PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Plants

justjoy
04-25-2008, 06:06 AM
This is an indoor gardening question. Can Rubber Plants tolerate direct sunlight? I have just purchased a lovely burgundy colored plant and have the perfect place for it on the window sill.

tater03
04-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I would think it would be all right for a few. Do you have curtains or shade where you could block some of the sun for part of the day?

justjoy
04-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Good suggestion Tater! I do have curtains in that window, but they're sheers so don't block sun. But after reading your post, I thought I'll just move the plant out of the window during the hottest, sunniest part of each day. Thanks.

Green-Moo
04-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Direct sunlight could burn tender young leaves, so I'd try & find it a nice bright spot where there is some dappled shade.

SageMother
04-26-2008, 06:45 PM
IF you have a window that is in the northeast or southeast, you may be able to allow the plant to sit without worrying too much about the sunlight.

I'd check a few online sources first, though. It sounds like a beautiful plant and it would be a shame to lose it!

Green-Moo
04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Remember that it will also require a slightly moist atmosphere, so don't place it near a radiator. It will probably appreciate the odd mist with water.

mbtaluka
04-28-2008, 01:40 AM
This is an indoor gardening question. Can Rubber Plants tolerate direct sunlight? I have just purchased a lovely burgundy colored plant and have the perfect place for it on the window sill.

It requires mild sunlight rather than direct sunlight. Check out this site for more information: http://houseplants-care.blogspot.com/2006/07/rubber-plant-care.html

riskey58
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
I had a rubber plant for years. I did not have it in direct sunlight. I had it where it would get some light, but no direct sun and it did great.

gnandita1
05-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Rubber plants are easy to grow and care for .Although rubber plants adapt quickly to household,a day temperature of 8 degree Farenhite is needed.It requires moisture in the soil but over soaking may cause problem.