PDA

View Full Version : High Winds!

justjoy
04-22-2008, 06:34 AM
I live on the coast and we have really high winds whipping through the garden almost all of the time. I'm trying to find plants to put in my backyard that will withstand the winds. Anybody with any ideas?

SageMother
04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
It seems like shrubbery holds up to high winds as long as the shrubbery is low. If you have room you could create a windbreak with shrubs, then plant your more delicate plants on the protected side of the windbreak.

mbtaluka
04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
I am not sure of any particular type of plants that can with stand high winds. It is better to google out for some of such plants. Someone has answered this question on this link Check out: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/282188

tater03
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
That is a great idea of providing a wind break with shrubs. I am not to sure of any that are good at withstanding high winds. We don't get to many days that are really windy for any length of time.

justjoy
04-24-2008, 05:22 AM
I like the idea of using shurbery as a natural windbreak. Because we live on the coast, pretty much on the cliff top, we can't even put up a solid fence to protect from the wind. I'm thinking about using lavender, which grows to huge proportions here! It'd look pretty and smell wonderful! Anybody think that will hold up to the winds? I hate thought of planting it and then having it not survive.

Rose White
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I live on the coast and we have really high winds whipping through the garden almost all of the time. I'm trying to find plants to put in my backyard that will withstand the winds. Anybody with any ideas?

Planting shrubbery, cattails, bamboo, tall spiky architectural plants and tough ornamental grasses you see at the shore is a good way to help keep the wind from tearing up your garden. Also, try olive, holly and other robust trees. Check with your neighbors, county extension office and local nurseries for plants which grow well in your area.

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens A to Z
:)

leomartin6
04-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Choose bricks that will survive well in continually wet conditions. Common brick may not be strong enough. Be prepared to give your material supplier the length and height of the wall you plan to build. If the bricks have holes in them, purchase special cap bricks for the top course. Arrange to have the bricks resting on a strong pallet near the job site.