PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Fill In?

dkramer
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I have areas around the front and back of my house that used to have plants in it but we didn't like them when we moved in and we removed them. Now the front seems so bare and I'd like to have something that is easy to grow and looks nice to line the front and back of my house. I live in NE Kansas and I'm guessing that if I want something there I should probably get started on it. Any ideas of things that would look nice?

TIA

Dawn

SageMother
04-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Try finding out what your hardiness zone is first. This will narrow your plant choices considerably. If you don't want plants to care for, a fountain or rock garden my fill the areas nicely.

Chris
04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
If any of the areas are shady or on the north side of the building, try some Hydrangeas, such as Endless Summer.

dkramer
04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the ideas. My front yard is to the North and although it's the front yard we actually don't do anything out front. Everything we do is to the South part of the house because our deck is out there and our driveway curves around so we come in and out of the South door. I would like to have the front look pretty when people drive by but the idea of a fountain sounds wonderful but I'd rather have it in the back so I can enjoy it :D. I'll have to do some thinking and checking. Thanks for the help.

Dawn

mom2manyboyz
04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi Dawn:

I'm from NE Kansas also. These do well for me with very little water or effort.

peonies
black eyed susans
cone flowers
autumn joy
bee balm
hosta
phlox
evergreen bushes
tulips
snap dragons
clematis
red bud trees

Green-Moo
04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
A selection of small shrubs and bushes which are of different green tones sound like they may be an easy solution for you.

Or how about making a display of different potted plants which you can move around as you wish?

mom2manyboyz
04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I like the idea of the variated shrubs Green-Moo! Shrubs take so little care and they add a sense of elegance to a home.

tater03
04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I have always loved Hydrangeas. I know we are going to get some shrubs this year and they are easy to take care of.

riskey58
04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I think planting various colors of shrubs look very nice, and maintenance. We did this in the front of our hose and it worked out great.

Serenity
04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I like plain old petunias. They spread well and all you need do is deadhead them really to keep them flowering. I had them in both the ground and in containers where they did equally well. They could survive a TN summer and might be a good option for you too if you want something brighter than greens.

mom2manyboyz
04-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I agree. They add so much character. We did this in the front of our house also. They are easy to maintain, we have some evergreen so they look nice in the winter, and there is not cost like there is with annual flowers.

I think planting various colors of shrubs look very nice, and maintenance. We did this in the front of our hose and it worked out great.

mtrent
05-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Dawn:

I'm from NE Kansas also. These do well for me with very little water or effort.

peonies
black eyed susans
cone flowers
autumn joy
bee balm
hosta
phlox
evergreen bushes
tulips
snap dragons
clematis
red bud trees

You pretty well have everything listed that she could use. I hope she gets it filled in and is very happy.

riskey58
05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
We planted hostas in various places in the rock garden and it looks great, and it is so easy to maintane.

mom2manyboyz
05-13-2008, 01:36 AM
We planted hostas in various places in the rock garden and it looks great, and it is so easy to maintane.

Yes, hosta love shade too. They do best on the north side of a building (where I'm at), under a tree, or in any shady location.

mtrent
05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Monkey grass, which some people sometimes call spider grass, is a could ground filler and it will grow just about anywhere, not to mention that they spread rapidly and you will not have to worry about having to replant next year.