PDA

View Full Version : tulips

tulip
04-11-2008, 11:10 PM
I would like to know if anybody can give me any info on my tulips I planted approx. 400 tulip bulbs in total, my first year I got approx 6 dozen tulips and have yet to see another tulip that was 5 years ago. Any info please Oh yes I am new to the forum and sort of new to gardening

Chris
04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I would guess gophers or another rodent ate them all.

Next time try daffodils, they're poisonous and so are left alone.

justjoy
04-22-2008, 06:32 AM
I'd have to agree with Chris, but I feel so sorry that all your bulbs are gone! I can just imagine how beautiful 400 tulips would have looked had they all grown. Tulips are one of my favorites!

SageMother
04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I would like to know if anybody can give me any info on my tulips I planted approx. 400 tulip bulbs in total, my first year I got approx 6 dozen tulips and have yet to see another tulip that was 5 years ago. Any info please Oh yes I am new to the forum and sort of new to gardening

Since some of the bulbs were productive, you might look at location. The tulips that actually grew may be in a better location for growth!

mbtaluka
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Try to check out this link Tulip: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/bulbs/qa.html, it has major questions about the problems faced regarding the tulip plantation being answered. I even checked out : http://www.backyardgardener.com/plants/tulip.html which has information too about gardening.

gnandita1
04-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I really love tulips as they are really beautiful.But oh I really feel so bad that all your tulips did not grow.Next time you plant tulips gather full information and then try .

mamabear05
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I would guess gophers or another rodent ate them all.

Next time try daffodils, they're poisonous and so are left alone.
Is this why I can't get rid of my daffodils? I hate them and have dug them up repeatedly, but they just won't go away! The last few years, I've just given up, and so of course I have many more now. Bleh.

Kitten
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Awww, that's so sad. Hopefully you'll be able to find an explanation and have better luck in the future.

atula
05-17-2008, 06:30 AM
As chris said the problem might be rodents. But I also know that over crowded growing may also create a problem as then most tulips cant survive and they have to fight for space....Also because of their growing cycle many experts suggest that the tulip bulbs should actually be removed in june and then replanted again in september....
So the problem might have been any of the above...
hope this helps........:)

Mmc
09-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I only plant tulips in pots as the bulbs tend to rot or get eaten by something. I love bulbs having lived in Holland for years so I plant lots and reap the rewards in springtime here in Ireland. I find the grape hyacinths, daffodils (all kinds), tete a tete and alliums come back year on year. I also buy them in pots from January onwards and then plant them outside so the garden is now full of bulbs. Problem is I dig them up when planting other bits and pieces during the year but usually just put them back again and they survive most of the time.
Tulips do very well in pots so try that for this coming year.
M

Donna
04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I worked very hard to plant about 250 tulip bulbs and not nearly that many came up. Being very curious, I went over to a spot where NONE had come up and dug around. The bulbs were gone. I thought that maybe voles had gotten them so I never planted in that area again. Now I live at a different location and last fall I planted 50 red tulip bulbs. It looks like just about all of them are up and blooming, but when I came home from work this afternoon I noticed a barespot where it looks like someone snapped off about three blooms and took home a little bouquet.:( They must have looked irresistably pretty!:)

goatgirl
10-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Rodents may be the culprit; I have found using medicated foot powder before planting is helpful. Put bulbs and foot powder in a bowl and mix. Putting a fine wire mesh over the top helps too. G'Luck!

Rose White
02-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I worked very hard to plant about 250 tulip bulbs and not nearly that many came up. Being very curious, I went over to a spot where NONE had come up and dug around. The bulbs were gone. I thought that maybe voles had gotten them so I never planted in that area again. Now I live at a different location and last fall I planted 50 red tulip bulbs. It looks like just about all of them are up and blooming, but when I came home from work this afternoon I noticed a barespot where it looks like someone snapped off about three blooms and took home a little bouquet.:( They must have looked irresistably pretty!:)

I have had the same problem with squirrels eating my tulip bulbs, but I still buy cheap ones every year and replant them because they are so beautiful.

There does not seem to be much to do about flower lovers who come along and pick your blooms, though.

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens A to Z

Rose White
02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Is this why I can't get rid of my daffodils? I hate them and have dug them up repeatedly, but they just won't go away! The last few years, I've just given up, and so of course I have many more now. Bleh.

Too bad I don't live near you! I buy as many daffodils as I can afford. Be sure to invite your friends and neighbors to come and dig them up for their own gardens - they will love you.

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens A to Z
:D

alp12ha
03-15-2011, 07:51 AM
The tulip is a perennial, bulbous plant with showy flowers in the genus Tulipa, which comprises 109 species and belongs to the family Liliaceae.

nofeargardener
03-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Few things could be the problem....

When you got your tulip bulbs, were they rock hard, or a little soft? Tulip bulbs should be rock hard when you get them. Many suppliers try to store their bulbs, and the results are usually not good. They may have been duds from the beginning (sorry).

When you buy tulip bulbs, make sure they came from a source in the Netherlands if possible. And you will get what you pay for. Try one of the many "Darwin Hybrids" - Orange Emperor, Yellow Emperor, Red emperor, Tang Dynasty, and Holland’s Tulip. They perform well and can give you great blooms for 2 to 3 years.

If you think squirrels may have taken the bulbs, you can try putting down chicken wire over the top of them before winter. Then, in the spring when they first start to emerge, remove the chicken wire. You can also try putting down some cayenne pepper as a deterrent.

And be careful about too much water. Excess water, can cause tulip bulbs to rot in the ground. Make sure your soil is very well-drained.

Hope this helps!!! Hang in there!!!

ha0id0er
03-30-2011, 06:13 AM
The tulip is a perennial, bulbous plant with showy flowers in the genus Tulipa, which comprises 109 species and belongs to the family Liliaceae.

spurmsperm
04-12-2011, 10:09 AM
I really love tulips as they are really beautiful.But oh I really feel so bad that all your tulips did not grow.Next time you plant tulips gather full information and then try .

Aleeshan20kat
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Best post
I like this about tulip..this is some new and unique post,..

pharmerphil
05-14-2011, 01:45 PM
squirrels will devour your tulip bulbs

smithyuvar
05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I like tulips because their growing cycle many experts suggest that the tulip bulbs should actually be removed in June and then replanted again in September.