PDA

View Full Version : Soaker hose longevity

leora
03-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Is there a way to increase the life of a soaker hose when well water is used?
Can they be revived when it seems the minerals in the water have clogged each pore???:

Chris
03-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Hmm... never heard of this problem.

I would just keep using it... surely the pressure will build up and eventually clean out the holes? Make sure to leave it out during winter as well, what damages normal hoses (cold weather/freezing) could actually fix your problem

leora
03-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Mine have been out year round for 2-3 years. Perhaps pressure is the problem but our water is very hard. Lime Away is my best friend even to un clog hose end sprinklers and nozzels of yard sprinklers.

Chris
04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I recently read that rubbing it down with a vinegar soaked rag can clear it up.

Serenity
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I think the vinegar would indeed do the trick. I clean mineral deposits from my coffee maker using a solution of vinegar and water (half and half) which you run through it and then rinse thoroughly with some more pots of plain water. You do need to let the solution stand awhile inside the coffee machine before switching it on, to let it do its work, for about half an hour. I guess it depends how big your hose is if you could soak it in a bucket of vinegar solution or if that would be impractical.

justjoy
04-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Citric Acid is avaliable at most pharmacies and when mixed with water, will remove limescale. I live in an area that is noted for it's hard water and Citric Acid works perfectly on my kettle and quickly. I'm thinking it would also work on the hose if soaked. Good luck.