PDA

View Full Version : aspargus

A. O. Martak
10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi My aspargus bed has become infested with grass. I was told that rock salt would kill the grass and not harm the aspargus. Is this true and has anyone done this ? I am afriad the grass will run out hte asoargus Any help please ? Thanks

Chris
11-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I've never heard of that and I would not try it. Salt kills pretty indiscirminately.

Are you sure it is grass though? Asparagus has a reseeding issue and those may just be small asparagus plants and not grass at all.

This winter I would try cutting it all back and then smothering it with mulch or plastic (which you'd then remove once the asparagus come sback int he spring)

msmeg
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
I have heard of it and even talked to a man who did it... but I have never tried... I think it works because the asperagus roots are deep and the grass roots are not.

What he said is after he stops picking he puts rock salt in the bed ( no idea how much) and then compost..... I was afraid to try it so we hand pull after a rain still.

Green-Moo
05-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a dangerous experiment to me! I think that although weeding by hand may well take longer it would be far safer

RoxyMoron
05-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I just suddenly got hungry! :)
Sorry I can't be of help here, but I am curious since I've never heard of anyone growing asparagus...what type of soil are you using? Or rather, what area do you live in? I know it depends heavily on regions as well, and being in the red clay area of the South, it's awfully hard for me to think about growing much!

Mickie31
05-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I have never heard of this before and therefore never done it, but I suppose it is worth a try.

Cody Wellard
06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi
There is an established asparagus bed in my new garden, it was a fair amount of quack grass in it, I am going to give it my best with manually cleaning it this year before I try any other method. I find with the quack grass you have to make sure you get all of the root out, if not, in a day or two a new green shoot sprouts up!:o

kzhen
07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I personally haven't grown asparagus before and didn't have to go through the little obstacle that you have to solve. Hope all goes well for you, let us know how it went!