PDA

View Full Version : Lots of bush not to many tomatos

michelogrow
08-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Planted my first garden of tomatos. First I planted them to close and had a jungle so I pulled out 5 plants ( it was painful to do as they are my babies. Now the are taller than me about 6'6'' I have made a set up so I can tie them up to the poles and they keep growing out of control. In the center of each plant there are tomatos growing still a little green but growing. I have many flowers on top of the plants but not many midway up the plant. Is there a way to get the plant to grow more buds on the plants? I have about ten plants some are producing more than others. I live in Colorado in the Grand Valley and we have a long summer and very hot days and nights. (about 100 degrees every day. Can I correct my problem with not as many buds or is it a lost cause this year. The plants are so heathy I would think they would produce many tomatos. Maybe someone can help me with this

Thank You
Warm Regards,
michelogrow

Chris
08-03-2007, 02:34 AM
it could be sunlight, but if that is the problem you cannot very well move the plants, just plan better next year. The other solution would be a high phosphorous fertilizer.

There are some vegetables that don't produce well in heat, just as there are those who do not produce well in cold. Living where I do in a colder region I'm more familiar with the ones with cold problems, so I don't recall if tomatos are one with a heat problem or not.

michelogrow
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Thank you for giveing me that information. I will ensure I get the right tomatoes for my climate.

mom2manyboyz
04-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes, you should switch to a fertilizer higher in Phosphorous and Potassium. Gardeners often make the mistake of providing too much nitrogen. The result is a great looking bushy, green plant, but few fruit.

mbtaluka
04-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Perfect fertilizer would help to improve the plantation on the whole. Hope you find the desired results soon.

Kitten
05-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Definitely make sure you're choosing the right type for your area. Also, if it's very hot there, you probably have issues with not only the sun, but also the amount of water they're getting. Make sure if they're not getting enough water from rain, that you supplement it.