PDA

View Full Version : enlish ivy vs. grass

katlady
07-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Is there anyone out there who know how I can get rid a bunch of grass that has taken over my mom's english ivy (short of going in and pulling it all out)? I'd like to kill the grass without killing the ivy essentially.
Thanks!

Chris
07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
There are a few chemicals specifically made for killing grass specifically, though you would want to test first to see if the ivy is okay with them. Also, a significant drought could harn the grass more than the ivy.

Normally though the ivy is able to overpower the grass and cast so much shade on the ground the grass cannot grow.

Definitely a tough problem though. Rough digging might be main solution.

justontime
04-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Ivy is very hard to kill, I have been pulling out ivy for the last 4 years, every time I think it has gone for good but it keeps coming back!

SageMother
04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
You could try pouring scalding hot water on the grass to kill it off. I think the process has to be repeated but it can be done ore accurately than using chemicals that may kill the ivy as well.

Serenity
04-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Ivy is very hard to kill, I have been pulling out ivy for the last 4 years, every time I think it has gone for good but it keeps coming back!

justontime, don't say that! LOL. I have ivy I want to kill off without destroying the grass if at all possible that I just noticed the other day. The previous owners have let it grow in such a way that it's now entwined with the exterior phone lines and other cables. While it's not high, only about three feet at its highest point, I'm scared to yank at it in case I take the wiring with it.

msmeg
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I accidentally got some ivy and vinca vine in some plants I transplanted form my moms it is taking over.... I even tried round up and it survives.

justontime
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
justontime, don't say that! LOL. I have ivy I want to kill off without destroying the grass if at all possible that I just noticed the other day. The previous owners have let it grow in such a way that it's now entwined with the exterior phone lines and other cables. While it's not high, only about three feet at its highest point, I'm scared to yank at it in case I take the wiring with it.

Perhaps it depends where you live. I have ivy growing up the outside wall of my utility room, I have pulled it all off, dug out the roots and sprayed the wall for the last four years and it just keeps coming back. It grows all the way up the wall in a few months, but I can only get to it at certain times of the year because I have a climbing rose growing there. If only the things I want in my garden would grow like that!

mamabear05
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I have had the same experience with ivy; no matter what I do, it always comes back! I have had the best luck pulling it out by the roots than spraying anything on it (spraying seems to do pretty much nothing except maybe kill the current leaves), but it's still not completely gone.

Chris
05-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Never let English ivy climb on a wall or other structure. It's roots will destroy masonry. It should only be used as a ground cover.

Boston Ivy is the type you can let climb on a wall.

tater03
05-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Man I am so glad that I have not had this problem with Ivy. I never knew that it was so hard to get rid of until I was reading over your posts.

Rose White
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Never let English ivy climb on a wall or other structure. It's roots will destroy masonry. It should only be used as a ground cover.

Boston Ivy is the type you can let climb on a wall.

When I purchased my home, poison ivy was growing up the 100-year-old stone house. All of the mortar disappeared and after I pulled down the ivy (which was thriving even though it no longer reached the ground), I replaced the mortar.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"