PDA

View Full Version : The right time to start seedlings

THM_18
02-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan my veggie and herb garden. I'm going to grow basil, cucumber, pumpkin, spinach and tomatos. I modified a egg carton for my seedlings. (See pic attached) I'm going to start them inside because freezes are still regular. I would like to know when I should start them, I'm was planning to start them this week, but I understand some seeds might need more or less time before their ready to get planted. Also, does anyone know where I can find out how many square feet I'll need for each plant?

Thanks for the advise,

THM_18

JeannainNC
03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Check out Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholemew for general sq foot spacing.
To know when to start seeds you need to know your planting zone? Mine is 7b. Then find out what the avg last frost dates are for your zone. Mine are 4/15 to 10/15 but we generally go till Nov.

From there you can google a seed starting timetable based on last frost dates. Work the time table forward and backwards to get exact dates. I use the Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardners Handbook by Ron Kujawski & Jennifer Kujawski. It allows you to modify the handbook based on your region for planting and garden maintenance. I have used this handbook for 2 years now.

Except for the spinach all the veggies you listed are warm weather veggies that I could not set out till mid May w/o lots of protection. However, I started my seeds indoors 3/21. Pumpkin seeds should be started closer to the plant out date b/c they grow really fast.

Jeanna in NC

divedaddy03
03-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan my veggie and herb garden. I'm going to grow basil, cucumber, pumpkin, spinach and tomatos. I modified a egg carton for my seedlings. (See pic attached) I'm going to start them inside because freezes are still regular. I would like to know when I should start them, I'm was planning to start them this week, but I understand some seeds might need more or less time before their ready to get planted. Also, does anyone know where I can find out how many square feet I'll need for each plant?

Thanks for the advise,

THM_18

I agree with Jeanna, Google is your friend! I'm in SC (close to Charlotte, NC) and I didn't know a thing about gardening down here when I came (still learning too).

I just looked up a growing season map on Google and also a chart that says what to plant and when it can be planted for your region....and wallah! :)

I just planted some this week (video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoyD6tBuu7A) and I'm so open to suggestions too.

I've never tried or even heard of somebody starting plants seeds like this, it was just a crazy idea and I thought I'd try it.

Let me know if you need any more advice, I'd be glad to share!

Wayne, SC

willmorris
04-24-2013, 01:53 AM
I love the egg carton idea. I'll have to try it out myself 1 of these days.