PDA

View Full Version : What materials you should not put in the compost?

ownerbuilder2012
09-29-2012, 05:43 AM
What most people think is that all biodegradable materials should go into the compost pit or barrel. But truth is not everything goes in there. For instance, meat should not be included for it might and it will attract rodents.

What can you include to this? Share it with us please.

Chris
10-01-2012, 02:57 AM
heavily salted foods, for obvious reasons.

chris@hisfarm
10-09-2012, 02:14 AM
What most people think is that all biodegradable materials should go into the compost pit or barrel. But truth is not everything goes in there. For instance, meat should not be included for it might and it will attract rodents.

What can you include to this? Share it with us please.

We do not put anything in our compost that has been cooked with cooking oil. We will not place any produce that we are unsure of if its origins. We do our best to only purchase Organic produce, but if we get some fruit from a grocery store, if it does not taste right, we question the chemistry and throw it out.

Even if you are not sick, you can still heal your body! That is why we are careful with the fuel we place in our body and in our compost piles.
http://www.gardeningblog.net/forums/images/icons/icon10.png

walkeasy
10-24-2012, 06:21 PM
meat eating animal waste.

waxed cardboard

and a lot of other things that don't make sense.. :)

justlovegardening
11-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Apart from the comments above , you should not put onion scraps , whole or anypart off into your compost heap

Landmark Landscapes
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Putting ashes from a wood burning stove are great, but BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that there are no live coals. I know someone who burned their compost pile to the ground. :p

mizzyjo
08-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Apart from the comments above , you should not put onion scraps , whole or anypart off into your compost heap

What's the explanation for this? I've always used onion scraps as long as it is raw.

yourgardenstop
09-05-2013, 01:10 AM
I was told that you don't want meat or any kind of acidic fruits.