PDA

View Full Version : Fall Gardening

nathanya
09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Hello everybody I am looking to start a fall vegetable garden hear in CT. I have never done this before and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me on what crops to grow and any other information.

walkeasy
10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
I would suggest putting up a quick pvc type hoop house over some of it. This will help mellow out our crazy weather.

Spinach is the best imo. If winter comes early and it is far enough along, it will hang tight until early, early spring and give you a great early crop. I have also found carrots in the spring that held on.

I always try my luck with carrots, beets, radish, loose leaf lettuce.

Your luck is highly dependent on the weather. the last 4 years we have had mild winter weather until January. last year we had 8 inches of snow on Halloween.. The hoop house will help with this in amazing ways. I put one in to cover a 4x8 raised bed. Cost $15 for all material, installed in 30 mins. looks passed the wife's approval. :)

darrylvk
03-26-2013, 05:03 AM
Hello everybody I am looking to start a fall vegetable garden hear in CT. I have never done this before and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me on what crops to grow and any other information.

Some of the best green beans i ever had were planted late August in Kansas.