PDA

View Full Version : Good plant for window security?

farmer pete
08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Good morning. I'd like to add a bush or other plant under my daughter's windows to keep human intruders out. The windows are low, so I'm hoping to find something that grows to be 36" max (or can be easily pruned). The windows get direct afternoon sun. I was thinking about barberry, but I understand that they can have an unpleasant odor. Roses probably won't work because I am told that you have to trim them way back in the winter. I live in the MidAtlantic part of the U.S. Any suggestions?

Chris
08-25-2012, 02:48 AM
barberry, the odor is not that bad, and it is only for like 3 or 4 days in the Spring when their nonobvious flowers are in bloom.

The thorns on it though are viscious, it takes the sun, and pruning no problem. It is like a tank. I have in fact planted it for window security.... which piques my brain, window security plantings would make a good blog post, I should do that.

GreenChris
08-31-2012, 04:53 AM
You know, I never thought of using bushes for keeping out intruders, but it's a great idea. I did some research and found an evergreen shrub known as "flying dragon" but the only downside is that it does best in full sun. Barberry seems like an ideal choice as it doesn't require direct sunlight. I am also thinking a holly bush could work as well, the thorns aren't as extreme, but they are usually a good size and not easy to get around.