PDA

View Full Version : new tomatoes?

nofeargardener
05-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Is there a variety of tomato that you're planting this year that's new to you? If so, what kind? I've got a total of about 32 tomato plants in (various) - 2 of those are Brandywine which I'd never grown before. I'm looking forward to those. How 'bout you? :D

GhettoGardener
05-13-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm currently growing Boxcar Willies. I've never really grown tomatoes... or veggies that matter. But I'm having excellent success. They're flowering about 40 days in which is weird, but oh well. I was wondering if i should pinch the early blossoms off. I'm getting mixed opinions. So now, since my tomatoes are doing so well, I'd like to experiment with some exotic/strange varieties. HAHA tomato plants are like tattoos. Once you grow one, you have to get another. I'm trying to start a seed exchange because I'm just absolutely disgusted with seed prices at the stores, but no one seems to be interested. Anyway, here they are.377378379

wiseolegoat1
05-26-2012, 12:18 AM
I grew roma tomatos last year and they were tasteless. Beautiful and plentiful, but tasteless. My neighbor grew brandywines and gave me a few....they were the most delicious tomoatos I ever ate! ]
This year I am growing black cherry tomatoes, a few volunteers in the garden so they will be a surprise, some beefsteak tomatoes and some early girls. I am also quite partial to the yellow pear tomatos, but my seeds had grown moldy from my neighbor to the back of me being overzealous with her watering and got my whole seed cache wet. Haven't replaced those yet.

PABackyardGrower
05-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I just got in the mail today some Berkeley Tie-Dye tomato seeds.

I am a little worried about growing at this time, even though May for us has been like April with nothing but rain!

PABackyardGrower
05-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Anyway, here they are.377378379

Wow those are some great stems on your tomatoes GG

GhettoGardener
06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Why thank you PA... Nothin but rabbit poop, compost and grass clippings. =) Here's the update.416

Edible Garden Norhwest
06-19-2012, 04:14 AM
I am giving stupice a try. I read about it as a very early variety that does really well here in the Pacific Northwest, and so far they are the most vigorous, healthy looking tomato plants I have.

beasuccessfulgardener
06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Cherry tomatoes are easy and really good in my opinion

tedwilson
07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm growing heirloom tomatoes for the first time this year,
including Early Girl (http://homegrowntomatoestips.com/growing-early-girl-tomatoes/) and Quebec 1121.

AdamBorzy
07-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Wow.. 32 tomatoes? That's a lot of varieties...
We only got Roma, Grosse Lisse and Mighty Red.