PDA

View Full Version : Trees that won't stay standing

wsoung
04-24-2012, 02:15 AM
A few months back I read a blog post from this site regarding staking trees (sorry, can't seem to find that link anymore) but am still struggling with trees in my backyard that just won't stay standing. Any time there is a little wind, the stakes break and the trees pretty much fall to the ground (the roots are still in the group but it just bends all the way to the ground). I've tried multiple and bigger stakes as well as metal stakes without success.

My landscaper original used a single stake tied with the green ties. It's been almost 2 years and they still require stakes to stand.

Any advice? I know I probably don't have all the relevant information in this post, so please let me know what else you need to know. I'm new to having a yard to care for.

This photo shows the trees that standing albeit leaning to the right:

This photo shows how the landscaper originally tied the stakes:

This photo shows one of the trees that won't stay up (the middle one). There are actually three trees in that photo. The middle tree is standing up partially only because of the stake. If remove, it falls straight to the ground:

Chris
04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Unless those are weeping varieties of a tree, they were staked incorrectly. It is no wonder they can't stand on their own.

Trees grow strong in response to stimulus (ie the wind), much like humans, if you never used your legs your muscles would be weak, with the free never having to use its wood to stand up to the wind, it put all it's energy in growing taller, instead of stronger.

There is no good solution, assuming you identify the variety of tree, and it is indeed a type that is not a weeper, remove the stakes.

If it really falls down without even ANY wind then you have to keep it staked, but stake it correctly.

http://www.gardeningblog.net/2009/05/20/how-to-stake-a-tree/

wsoung
05-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the response Chris.

I found out that the tree is a podocrapus. In doing a little research, it seems this may be considered a shrub and that it should grow wider and fuller. If that's the case, then mine are obviously not growing very well.

I just wanted to confirm that the staking approach is still the same given it is a podocrapus.

Thanks again!