PDA

View Full Version : Tomato plant

kjts918
03-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I've never grown tomato plants before. There are way too many to pick from. What kind of tomato plant can be grown in a pot? How do i get started? When should i plant the seeds?

misshailey
03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I've never grown tomato plants before. There are way too many to pick from. What kind of tomato plant can be grown in a pot? How do i get started? When should i plant the seeds?

I'm having trouble growing my tomato's :( they are fragile plants....and i have those horn worms that eat them! good luck, i really have no advice since i cant even grow them

jonesy
04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Most types of tomatoes do well in containers, but you have to keep in mind the amount of sun they need. If you are looking for tomatoes for use in salads, Burpee's super sweet cherry tomatoes are a great choice and produce fruit on a prolific rate if well cared for. They trail off, and do well in hanging baskets in full sun with plenty of water.
If you want to make sauces from them, romas, san marzanos, and rainbow heirlooms work well- though you'll need deep, wide containers as all varities need lots of root room and will require the support of cages or strong netting. If you are starting from seeds you will need to start them ASAP! You want them to have a good start before you move them outside. Due to my location I won't be moving mine outside for at least another 6 weeks, and the amount of plants I have going makes it time intensive- but the yields from strong plants that were given a good start is totally worth it!

cattail
04-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I'm having trouble growing my tomato's :( they are fragile plants....and i have those horn worms that eat them! good luck, i really have no advice since i cant even grow them
You may be experiencing the California tomato growers dilemma. California is known to have an evil nematode which attacks tomatoes. I remember it well. :( You need to look for resistant plant types to have any success with tomatoes in California. Google for "California Tomato Nematode".

As to the horn worm, I've had them too. First of all, they are huge, easy to spot... Sit in or near your garden and listen. You can hear them chewing. They look like a strange string of small green cherry tomatoes. Once you find them, listen and then look, grab them by the tail, cut them into small pieces, and feed them to your chickens if you have any.

Are you growing dill near your tomatoes? Dill attracts tomato hornworms. Also, are you growing borage? Borage repels tomato horn worms!

Good luck - kill them suckers!

tedwilson
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
You should plant your tomato seeds (http://homegrowntomatoestips.com) when the soil is warm. After the frost-free date in spring it is safe to plant outside.

AdamBorzy
07-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Don't forget to water directly in the soil otherwise your tomatoes will rot quickly.
To name a few tomatoes variety that can be potted are Stump of the World, Anna Russian and Amish Paste.