PDA

View Full Version : Starting Spring Seeds

klevelyn
03-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Its time to start seeds and get ride of that spring fever. Really I have found starting your seeds really helps.

I like to start my cabbage family vegetables in Feb. Then move on to the Tomatoes and peppers in March or April. Why start your own seeds?
I have found the local nursery's only sell the popular varieties and it changes from year to year. If you want a variety you'll need to learn to start your own.

If you haven't started seeds before here is a great page. Or maybe you just need a refresher course. Good luck and come on spring!

inchworm5
03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Thank you for sharing, I am still new to gardening and I have been playing around with the idea of starting some plants this year, but as I live in a apartment I was not sure if this would be a good idea, I can have them on the deck for sure but I am still not sure if they will be getting enough sunlight and I have been wondering when a good time to start is. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for growing a few veggie plants in an apartment?

cattail
03-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Hello Inchworm5,

Sure you can grow veggies on your balcony or in a sunny window - outdoors is best if you can do it - so long as you get a minimum of 5 to 6 hours of sunlight every day... What do you want to grow? Easy to start with if you're new are lettuces, peas, (give them something to climb), or even a dwarf tomato or two... here's a page that talks about container gardens that might be helpful. :)

- http://vegetablegardenhub.com/grow-a-great-garden-in-a-small-space-with-a-container-garden

Good Luck!!